Last night we had to take down the server for a short time to repair the database. There was a pretty significant issue that had caused the database to "fork". Normally, this would cause a rollback or wipe for most servers, but we have a unicorn.
Tcholok was able to repair the database, and as far as we know everything is working correctly now.
Today we're going to be watching and waiting for any more issues. Please be quick to report them. We want to get on with more development! We have much more in store for you.
I know I've been pretty quiet lately. I'm sorry, you deserve better from me too. I did take some time to reflect, as well as I had a vacation. I also got hacked. My PC was hacked and my entire password list was leaked. It caused me some stress, and I now use a password manager for all of my passwords. Even stuff I don't care about has extremely secure protection, now. I am also using 2FA on most of my accounts, and hopefully, eventually will be using it for all of them.
The goal now is to get back to the regular development some old players know and love. We know MD has a great community that is excited to see what new and exciting features we will implement in the future.
We really can't stress enough, your patience with us has been fantastic. Through all of the ups and downs, there is a large group of you that really stood by us. We really appreciate it.
Changes, tickets, unbans, bans, and other administrative tasks are next up. A small patch will come out within a day after I have a test server, and that patch will have some of your suggestions. Please, submit your suggestions on the forums, via the ticket system, or even make suggestions on this post. I will post when the test server is up.
We're also looking for staff! Active users with in-game experience are required. Slack is a requirement. www.slack.com to download. Don't even apply if you can't/won't join Slack with us. Staff are our eyes and ears in-game, they help with things that include testing new features and enforcing rules. You have to be a GS before you can be a GM, but there are GM positions open!
We may open Slack to all users, we'll let you know more about that soon.
Thanks for reading. Let's bring MD back to #1 again.
As some of you clearly noticed, there was a glitch in the banana shop that was allowing many people to purchase items without being charged for them. As you can imagine, a select few abused this significantly before anyone reported it. So to be fair to everyone, we have to roll back to the start of the relaunch.
I really hope this is the last glitch introduced in this relaunch that will require rollback. Thanks for your patience with us during this first few days as we identify any remaining issues and iron out all these wrinkles. It should be smooth sailing soon enough!
PS: There will be compensation / bonus prizes given out over the next few days once we are sure everything has stabilized. There will also be some celebratory events. Stay tuned.
Last night I noticed we had forgot to set server time to the proper time. We had been modifying server time in order to test time-sensitive elements prior to launch and I missed that item on my todo list for the launch. As a result, the server was 6 days ahead of real time and when we set it back to real time, some skill cooldowns got "stuck".
The skill cooldowns are stored as timestamp when the skill is available again, and the timestamps stored for these skills were 6 days in the future. We aren't able to edit this part of the database, so the only way to resolve this is to roll back the data by about 20 hours to when we launched yesterday.
I'm sorry for those who lost some hours of work. I think this should be the last of any bugs like this that are hanging around. As always, if you notice anything amiss, please let us know ASAP to minimize the impact.
I'm pleased to say we're live and things are looking good. I believe we've worked out all the kinks and are delivering updates for all of you at record speed. We're currently averaging over 100mb/s of updates which approximately 1 full JD client downloaded every 50 seconds.
If you are having trouble updating, give it a little time and be sure you are running only one updater. There are a lot of people downloading simultaneously and this is a big update, so it may take some time.
We'll be tweaking the server a lot over the next couple of days, so please keep us posted on any quirks you notice or feedback you have. We're really excited to see this server get back to where it belongs!
Just for fun, here's a screenshot of the geographic distribution of everyone who's updating / updated to the new client:
- This is a giant update.
- There's no wipe, you keep your characters and items.
- We're back to active development and community building.
- Now there's a wiki (work in progress) - http://wiki.monkeydynasty.org
- You don't need to do anything, just let your updater update you to the new client.
Before the patch notes, a quick preface.
We know you have been waiting for a lot of these changes for a very long time. You deserved better from us, and from me especially over the past two years. I haven’t been focused on this at all, and that’s not fair to all of you. It’s no surprise most of the staff also lost interest and motivation.
As many of you have heard, we’re trying to turn that lack of effort and focus around. For the past 3 months, Perryl, Kaz, and myself have been working concertedly on bringing you the quality experience you had come to expect (and since forgotten) with the original Jade Monkey and Monkey Dynasty servers. I’d like to especially thank Kaz/Renya for her tireless work on all of the new content, the wiki, and her tremendous patience and good spirits. I'd also like to thank all of the testers and game sages who have provided fantastic support and feedback throughout this process. I will mention youu all specifically in final patch notes!
We’ve put our heads together to fix most of the outstanding issues and features that were not working and we’ve added a ton of new content. We’ve got a brand new set of hardware located in Central/Western Europe to provide you with better connectivity and a better gaming experience.
Finally, all of your characters and items are still here. This is not a wipe, but rather a revitalization of what was once a great server and community. We’re back to dedicated development, rebuilding the staff, and providing a great experience for everyone.
There’s a lot more that will be coming over the next weeks and months, but for now, we’re pleased to announce the first round of changes.
All you have to do is let the patcher update your client, then play. Its a big update and everyone is downloading it, so it may take a while.
- Improved Client - Optimized graphics and performance give you a better looking game using less resources.
- Elysium - Elysium is back working including regular boss spawning, all out pvp and porting back.
- Territory Wars - Territory Wars are fully working. The weekly battle for dominance over the server’s territories is back. Get your alliance mates together and fight for your place on the map!
- Fort - Fort is back and fully functioning. Take hold of it and set your Marshals statue in Sunstream for all to see.
- Alliance Bases - Fully working Alliance Bases - you’re now able to build a headquarters for your alliance, with your alliance mates. Complete with building up your city, daily quests and an alliance auction. Alliance Masters have the power to trigger events for their alliances.
- Crystal Rift
- Brand new Wiki - Brand new Wiki detailing many features and custom features. We have begun creating a full md-wiki for our community to enjoy. We’ve added all custom mounts, skyblades and pets, as well as some guides for you. We encourage players to contribute and good contributions will be rewarded. This should be a source of information, guides and all possible info.
Check it out - http://wiki.monkeydynasty.org
- 1000+ new icons - We have refreshed the whole custom content in the game, unified their looks, so no more missing icons on your items. We have also added small convenient changes to make looking for items easier
- Tradeable and non-tradeable Monkey Coin Packs have different colors
- Sigil shards are the same color as the sigils they create
- Higher sigils have appropriate refine color
- New auction rewards - have customized the daily auction rewards, making them a little more desireable hopefully. The rewards include several exclusive mounts, skyblades and fashion sets, as well as Banana shop items.
- New fashions - Over 45 new custom fashions
- New mounts - Many new mounts, most of which were requested by you, the community.
- New skyblades
- Etherborn Feather Exchange - Etherborn Feather Exchange - JD Dancing Youth Gift Pack, with custom rewards
- New BG Maps - 3 new battleground maps available
- Fixed Athan Brocade Chest in Jaden Shop
- Added Everlasting Herb to Jaden Shop
- ... and a whole lot more
New Customs List
See first comment on this thread for full list.
Thanks to Perryl and Kaz for having patience and still believing in me.
Special thanks to my girlfriend for putting up with my long hours working on this.
Special thanks to Kaz for tremendous effort on icons and new content.
Thanks to all of the testers and staff without whom this would not have been possible. They are...
- Ikkeuh (Game Sage)
- Tcholok, Perryl, and Kaz
I know it's been a long long time since you've heard from me, and that's not fair. I've been busy, no doubt, but the server should not have fallen to the wayside like it has. I've decided that the Monkeys need a higher priority from me right now and I'm beginning work to resolve some of the outstanding bugs, help Perry with the things he needs me for, and get us back on track to restore what this server used to be for so many people. We still have great people behind us, a solid record of fair staffing, and a history that shows we can be the best when we put our minds to it.
Before I step away for tonight, I wanted to leave you with a final update regarding the recent lag / connectivity issues. We've been getting steadily DDoS'd for the past few weeks. I'm not sure who's behind it, but presumably one of the competing servers. As I take a renewed interest in reviving this server, I will take additional steps to mitigate attacks. We are also considering moving the server to a more central location to better server our global player base.
Good night everyone, and I look forward to reconnecting with a lot of you more over the coming weeks.